BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, January 17, 2011

#24- Donate Blood

Recently, our family has had two family friends diagnosed with leukemia. Once again, an event in my life gave me a kick in the butt to cross another item off my list. Donate Blood.

The Blood Mobile happened to be outside of our Church after mass so it was extremely convenient. I signed up and loaded onto the bus...


After answering a million and one questions, they laid me out on the bed and found a vein. They suprisingly took more blood than I thought, more than a pint!

After laying there and giving the blood, I was finished! SO easy and the needle didn't even hurt.. that badly. :)

I was fortunate enough to meet an amazing woman on the bus. She had worked for the Red Cross for 32 years and this was her 72nd time donating blood. She asked me why I was donating and I was shocked by her question. She told me that people always have a reason that they start to give blood. I told her my reason was for my dear friend who was just diagnosed with leukemia. She told me that her reason was because her sorority house mother was going to have heart surgery over 30 years ago and she has been donating ever since.

I found what she told me amazing. It really did take this list and my friend's diagnosis to get me to donate. It is so easy and so beneficial to society that we shouldn't NEED a reason.

So I urge you all to go donate. It takes 10 minutes and literally saves lives.

Thank you all to everyone who donates and those who work for the Red Cross! I plan to be a lifer with this one ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment