BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

#10- Sing Karaoke Alone

Karaoke is something that everyone should do once in their lives. It's one of those things where you need to step up and just do it. I have the worst voice in the world... well maybe not the worst, but it's defiantly nothing special.

I will never forget when I was 12 years old and I was at the beach with my friend Bianca. Backstreet Boys were pretty big back then (and in my heart, they always will be. BSB fo' life!) and we put in the CD to jam out.

I'm not 100% sure, but I am almost positive that we were singing "I Want It That Way" when she looked over at me and told me my singing sucked. I was so taken a back because up until this moment of my life, I thought I was a mini Britney Spears. Apparently not.

After said event, I was extremely self conscience of my voice, although it never slowed me down from singing at the top of my lungs. What really had changed was I now knew I wasn't a rare talent.

Karaoke has always been something that scared me. I have tried it a few times, always in groups. One with my mom singing "I Will Survive" (typical Karaoke song), in groups of girlfriends singing such songs as "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" and the like, but I had never sang alone. This was my chance.

We have a great bar here in St. Augustine called Scarlett O'Hara's that has karaoke every Monday night. Once again, after a few drinks, my friend Allison convinced me that this was the night. The night to cross number 10 off my list. She convinced me even further with offering to buy me a shot.

Shot consumed, I walked up and signed up to sing my song. I knew exactly which one I was doing. I nervously sat down while the four people in front of me sang their songs one by one, some alright, some horrible and one girl that actually had a pretty good voice. I was freaking out.

"And now we have Kerry singing Coolio's "Gangster's Paradise"!" Everyone slowly clapped as I walked forward. I think they were confused of my song choice. Here is a video of the song for those who have not heard it...
Gangster's Paradise-Coolio

The music started and I began to rap, the crowd looked shocked at first and then started to get into it. I wasn't so nervous anymore and decided to throw a few gangster moves in there as I rapped. I threw up my elbows and really broke it now. I had a blast! When the song was over, the crowd went crazy... I don't know if it was because I actually did a good job or because this little white girl in a dress got up there and rapped. Either way, I took it.

** My dad was very disappointed that I did not get a video of this actual event, so I will be going back this upcoming Monday and will hopefully have a video to present to you later next week! I'm sure it will be just as good ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment